Chromatics long-promised new album Dear Tommy may finally see the light of day come 2016 (or not, who knows!), but the wait will eventually prove to be worthwhile. This year saw a string of singles from Johnny Jewel’s electronic pop band, including standouts like “Shadow” and “I Can Never Be Myself When You’re Around”, and now they are back with a cover of Cyndi Lauper’s ’80s anthem “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun.”
It’s as great as you’d expected it to be.
The track was teased earlier this year as part of a MANGO television ad with Kate Moss and Cara Delevingne, and this week, it gets the full maxi-single treatment (very ’90s!). Seven different variations of the song will be released through Jewel’s Italians Do It Better label, including a dub mix and three instrumentals. Heard together, it should be very cinematic.
One of the tracks, “Girls Just Wanna Have Some,” has a video, and it features Chromatics’ Ruth Radelet at the Santa Monica Pier. Check it out, with full Girls Just Want To Have Fun track listing, below. Commence fade away.
Chromatics “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun”
1. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun (3:47)
2. Girls Just Wanna Have Some (3:43)
3. Girls Just Wanna Have Drums (4:53)
4. Girls Just Wanna Have Dub (3:04)
5. Girls Just Wanna Have Drums (Instrumental) (4:53)
6. Girls Just Wanna Have Some (Instrumental) (3:43)
7. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun (Instrumental) (3:47)